a masthead goes here when my husband hasn't forgotten the password to pay the hosting service
about me
on flickr

The Nestor Progeny
Diary of Daniel
Shivery Knits


Huntsville Pictures
In Our World
Kat and Sean
Sarah D's Art


all & sundry
The Pioneer Woman
Kelle Hampton
Elise Blaha
The Bloggess
The Photo Argus
Photoshop Disasters
Miss Zoot
Pour Away the Ocean
Practically Harmless
Baghdad Burning
Zero to Forty
Bounce Back
so the fish said
Her Bad Mother
Respectful Insolence
String Theory


Penny Arcade
Picture is Unrelated
Questionable Content
Get Fuzzy
Foamy the Squirrel


125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 92 91 90 89 88 87 86 85 84 83 82 81 80 79 78 77 76 75 74 73 72 71 70 69 68 67 66 65 64 63 62 61 60 59 58 57 56 55 54 53 52 51 50 49 48 47 46 45 44 43 42 41 40 39 38 37 36 35 34 33 32 31 30 29 28 27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

And then October happened
Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 12:40 p.m.

I went back to work on October 3rd. Could you tell?

In order to properly celebrate turning 30, I started my baby in daycare and returned to my job. They were obviously relieved to see me, if relief can be measured by the sheer amount of crap they immediately piled on my plate (four BMP plans, three SPCC plans, two WM plans, an MS4 permit, a meeting with ADEM in Gadsden, and a partridge in a pear tree). I had enough hoarded projects to keep me busy for the next three months, but they all ended up being due last week and this coming week. Because of course they were.

I'm still adjusting to the schedule of pumping, going over to feed Aerin, and still working a full 8-hour day. I'd forgotten how much time pumping at work actually takes. Once you wash your hands, sit down, unpack and hook up everything, pump, pack up the milk, and wash everything, you're in for a good 30 minutes. Throw in a trip to the daycare, and you're already down two hours that have to be made up later. It's hard to keep up and it's hard to take a break from working just as you're hitting your stride.

To complicate things even more, after a year and a half of muttering about it, I've finally gone part-time. I'm only supposed to be in the office three days each week: Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I say supposed to because my second week back, I worked every day just to get finished. That also happened to be the same week Todd went and LEFT TOWN for a business trip. Because of course it was scheduled for my second week back, WHY NOT? Thank god Linda was able to stay with us, because otherwise, I'd have given up that first night.

So far, when I actually stick to it, the part-time deal is working mostly as intended. It will work better once I'm no longer pumping or going to the daycare to nurse, but hey. It's a system that's still evolving. I've been able to do the grocery shopping and laundry and some cleaning during the week, so our last few weekends have been less shit-tastic on the domestic front. We've been able to spend time with kids, instead of dragging them through various stores and chores, so that's a good thing.

And look! Today they're both asleep at the same time! If I skip my shower, I might be able to finish this post, check my email, write some thank you notes, AND maybe upload some pictures. Dude, it's like a little vacation. A vacation where you've forgotten your shampoo and your razor.

Pictures-I've-been-hoarding time!

14 Weeks Old

Wearing Dad's shoes

Aerin and Grammy

16 Weeks Old 16 Weeks Old

| Link

<< Previous Entries